Tuesday 28 August 2012

Dermalogica Clean Bar and the Pre-Shave Guard

In Part 2 of my Dermalogica Fathers Day review I had my husband, Brett review two products - the Clean Bar and the Pre-Shave Guard. If you missed Part 1, have a look here as earlier today Camper reviewed the Daily Defense Block and the Daily Clean Scrub.

Unlike Camper, Brett has been using beauty products for a little while now. It took me a few years to convince him to look after his skin but now if the products are in his bathroom he will use them. He is a bit of a creature of habit though and tends to stick to products he knows, (quite the opposite to me who is on a mission to try every beauty product ever made - I guess that's why his bathroom is immaculate whilst mine is a tad over crowded!) so I was intrigued to see how he would go with his routine being shaken up!

Brett is 32 and has good skin. He doesn't break out anymore although does occasionally get shaving rash. He has a freakishly fast growing beard (he usually gets 5.00 shadow sometime around lunchtime!) so needs to shave every day. Also, having two young kids means that he is always tired so will sleep in as late as he can before he has to get up and get ready for work. This means that he needs products that don't add any time to his routine.


The Clean Bar RRP $39.00 142g

 What they say: A soap-free, acid-balanced cleanser in a convenient bar form. Fortified with Licorice Extract and Allantoin to help soothe skin, and Lactic Acid, Oat Kernel and Retinol to help exfoliate. Tea Tree, Lavender and a complex of botanicals maintain bar purity during use. Ideal for the most sensitive of skins, and for those who currently wash with traditional soap bars that are too high in skin-aggravating alkalis. Travels easily in a gym or travel bag. Formulated without artificial fragrances and colors.
 
 
Pre-Shave Guard RRP $32.50 74g
 
What they say: A beard-softening shave prep for tough, coarse beards. Cooling Camphor helps tone to lift beard away from skin for maximum razor closeness. Soothing formula ads an extra layer of defense during shaving to help minimize razor burn and bumps. Formula is free of high-alkaline ingredients that can aggravate and dry skin. Works best when used underneath Soothing Shave Cream. Formulated without artificial fragrances and colors.
 


 Brett is also not a beauty blogger so I have used the same interview format that I did with Camper.

Did you enjoy using the products/did you like how the felt on your skin?
I really liked how my skin felt after using the Clean Bar. I also like how the Pre-shave guard felt on my skin but shaving took a lot longer to do when I used it.


Was it easy to incorporate them into your usual routine?
The Clean Bar was - it was easy to quickly use it in the shower and didn't add any more time. The Pre-shave guard tended to clog up my razor. I had to rinse it more often so it took longer to shave. This made it harder to incorporate into my weekday routine.


Did the Clean Bar dry out your skin at all?
It left my skin feeling nice and no it didn't dry it out.

Did the Pre-shave Guard make shaving any easier?
It made the actual shaving easier - I didn't have to pull as much as the razor tended to glide over my face but then the Pre-shave Guard would clog my razor and it was difficult to rinse out so it made the shaving process take a lot longer. I didn't have time for this during the week but didn't mind it on the weekend when I had more time for shaving and to rinse the blade more thoroughly.

 
[Note the Pre-shave Guard comes with the following instructions: After cleansing, apply a thin layer to beard. Do not rinse off. Apply Soothing Shave Cream over Pre-Shave Guard. Shave, rinsing blade often. Rinse with warm water. For use only underneath Soothing Shave Cream. Brett didn't have the Soothing Shave Cream so used it with his normal Gillette shaving cream. This might explain why his razor kept clogging up and the shaving process took longer]

Did you notice any improvement in either the appearance or feel of your skin after using the The Clean Bar and the Pre-shave Guard?
It seems a bit smoother. 

Would you like to receive products such as these for Fathers Day?
I would like to receive the Clean Bar as that is not something that I would normally buy myself.  I could probably do without the Pre-shave Guard as this just added time to my routine.


In case you missed it in my earlier post, Dermalogica currently have a promotion where you can received 20% off if you purchase two or more products from the shave range. Hurry, this ends 1st September.

 



Does your man buy his own beauty products or are you in charge of that?


All opinions are mine and Brett's own and we received no remuneration for this post. These products were provided to Brett for consideration.